TEMPORARY PARENT VISA UPDATE
11 Apr 2019
The Department of Immigration has been slowly updating us with new information regarding the long-awaited temporary parent visa. On Friday a new legislative instrument was announced regarding the income threshold that needs to be met by the sponsor(s) for this Visa. Today, a further new legislative instrument has been published regarding some of the intricacies.
These new Legislative Instruments specify the income threshold required to sponsor for this visa and the sponsorship eligibility criteria.
The Taxable Income Threshold will be set at $83,454.80. The relevant Income Year is the most recently completed taxable income year, prior to the lodgement of an application for approval as a family sponsor. The legislative instrument announced today has further details in this regard in that the threshold can be met by three people. The three people who together can conjoin to meet the income test are:
1. The sponsor;
2. The sponsor's spouse / de facto spouse;
3. Another one of your children who is an Australian Citizen / Permanent resident.
Sponsorship Eligibility Criteria:
• The sponsor/parent relationship requirements - must be the biological, adoptive, or step-parent of the sponsor and a step-parent can only apply if they are still in a married/de facto relationship with a biological parent of the sponsor
• Be aged at least 18 years of age
• Be an Australian citizen/permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who has been usually resident in Australia for four years
• Have met any prior sponsorship obligations
• Have no adverse information unless it is reasonable to disregard the information
• Have no debts to the Commonwealth or public health debts unless appropriate arrangements have been made for payment
• A minimum household income threshold (based on the income of the sponsor, or the combined income of the sponsor and their spouse/partner and/or another child of the parent)
• Provide police clearances for any country they have spent more than 12 months cumulatively in during the past 10 years
• Authorise information to be shared with the visa applicant
• Can sponsor no more than 2 persons.
Sponsors must also agree to comply with sponsorship obligations in relation to the parent(s) they are sponsoring.
Sponsorship must first be approved before you can apply for the new Temporary Parent Visa, and applications for sponsorship will open from 17th April 2019.
This is fantastic news for parents who didn't previously meet the balance of family test (which does not apply to this visa). It is also good news for those who have already applied for a Parent Visa, as the new visa will enable them to enter Australia and remain whilst waiting for the long processing time of an existing application to be finalised.
Key points about the new Temporary Parent Visa:
• A Temporary Visa valid for 3 or 5 years with one renewal;
• No balance of family test requirement;
• Visa holders will generally be subject to a "no work" condition;
• Application in two parts - Sponsorship, then Visa Application;
• Sponsorship application charge will be A$420;
• Three-year visa charge will be A$ 5,000, whilst the 5-year visa charge will be $10,000;
• There will be a limit of 15,000 places per year.
We believe there will be a strong demand for this visa and the initial quota will soon be exhausted. So, if you are interested, please schedule an appointment to discuss this with one of our Registered Migration Agents as soon as possible by phone 01483 500 914 or email email@example.com.