DIAC removes Occupations from State/Territory nominations
7 Aug 2013
DIAC has informed State and Territory Governments that they are no longer able to nominate the following groups of occupations state nominated skilled (points tested) visas (Subclass 190 and 489):
• Chemical and Materials Engineers; [ANZSCO Group 2331]
• ICT Business and Systems Analysts; [ANZSCO Group 2611]
• Electronics Engineers: [ANZSCO Group 2334]
• Telecommunications Engineering Professionals; [ANZSCO Group 2633]
• Other Engineering Professional [ANZSCO Group 2339]
• Software and Applications Programmers. [ANZSCO Group 2613]
The Migration Institute of Australia (MIA) has asked DIAC for further information about this change, which seems to have been made without any consultation (and potentially affects 19 occupations).
It seems that these occupations groups are not precluded from applying for skilled Independent visas (Subclass 189). Invitations will however be granted on a pro rata basis for these 'occupations.'
As a member of the MIA we are monitoring this closely and will send updates of any developments.
Please contact us if your occupation falls under one of these groups.